The call is now closed. We hope to see you at the show!
Celebrating Women in the Arts:
5th Year Anniversary!
2018 Theme: Metamorphosis
April 6-7, 2018
184 Dudley St. Boston MA 02119
Click HERE for FAQ
We Create has become a favorite in the Massachusetts arts community! The first week of April, Boston comes alive as a vibrant city committed to the support of self-identified women, and non gender conforming artists. Renowned and upcoming artists from Massachusetts, New England, and NY- share with you an unparalleled feast of music, dance, film, circus arts, and media arts. For two years in a row, we were awarded a Festivals Grant from the Massachusetts Cultural Council. In 2017, we were awarded a LAB grant from The Boston Foundation towards the festival.
The 5th edition of this acclaimed festival is scheduled to take place on April 6-7, 2018. We are looking for artists that are interested in sharing their process of art making within their cohort, receiving support from other artists from other disciplines, and committed to creating high quality work to be presented to the community.
Self-identified women artists and non gender confirming artists of all arts disciplines are encouraged to apply. Although the main creator must be a self-identified woman or a non gender confirming artist, men are welcome as performers!
Applications are accepted until September 8th, 2017
Applicants will be notified within two weeks of the application deadline.
People of color are encouraged to apply.
Out of town applicants (New England and NY): Please note that you are responsible for travel, meals, and accommodations. If this is a concern, please contact us to talk it through. We might be able to help you find accommodations within our community!
About We Create:
We Create is a process-oriented festival that gives artists the opportunity to create original works around an annual theme during a period of 6 months. Artists meet twice during that period to share and discuss their process; the final work is presented at the We Create festival.
· Cohort Gathering: Your first opportunity to meet your colleagues, brainstorm, and find potential collaborators. In the past, artists have found collaborators that have followed through until the culmination of the work!
· Works in Progress: There are two Works in Progress open only to the cohort of artists involved in We Create. It is a safe place to explore risks, share the process, and give/provide feedback.
· Rehearsals: There is one Technical and one Dress rehearsal. These will be scheduled two evenings within the week of April 4-7, 2018.
· Mentorship Program: Artists are encouraged to find a mentor of their preference to oversee and support their creative process. These findings will be shared during the Works in Progress. It gives you an opportunity to engage with a mentor that will push forward your creative process, while sharing this experience with your cohort. We will provide you with a letter of support that you can share with your mentor of choice. Mentors are encouraged to come to the Works in Progress, and the We Create festival. We also recognize that mentors can be busy, and might not be able to make all the process dates. More details regarding this program will be discussed with accepted applicants.
Artists must be available on the following dates in order to be considered. If you would like to apply but have a preexisting conflict with any of the dates below, please state so in the application.
· Cohort Gathering and Work in Progress I: Saturday- November 11th, 2017 *time coordinated with selected participants
· Work in Progress II: Saturday- March 3rd, 2018 *time coordinated with selected participants
· We Create performance week (including tech and dress rehearsals): April 4-7, 2017.
We will confirm receipt of your submission and assess your application. Due to the high volume of submissions received, please allow two weeks after the submission deadline.
We Create Artists will receive:
· A modest performance fee.
· Assisted mentorship.
· Partially subsidized rehearsal space. In some cases, fully subsidized space will be available.
· Documentation (photos and video of the final work).
· Media exposure, and many other opportunities that arise from being a We Create cohort artist.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: SEPTEMBER 8TH, 2017
We thank you for your interest in participating in the 5th Annual: We Create! Celebrating Women in the Arts.
The call is now closed.